Chartered on June 25, 1982, the proud history of Southern Shores Volunteer Fire Department began with the creation of the Dare Beaches Sanitation District in 1949.
Although this initial effort failed, it led to the birth of the Kitty Hawk Fire Department when nine citizens from Kitty Hawk in 1959 borrowed money to build a fire a station near Wink¡¯s Grocery Store.
Later in 1959 the Nags Head Fire Department was organized and the Kitty Hawk truck was sent to Nags Head.
In 1968 a fire district was established to provide fire protection to Colington, Kitty Hawk, Southern Shores and Duck.
On January 18, 1971 the Kitty Hawk Volunteer Fire Department was incorporated. A two bay station was built at East Dogwood and Duck Road, now the SSVFD East Station, and a two bay station was built in Colington.
Kitty Hawk housed its equipment at the old VEPCO building. In 1974 the present Kitty Hawk station was built. In 1981 Colington Volunteer Fire Department was incorporated, followed by Duck Volunteer Fire Department in July 9, 1982.
Construction of the Southern Shores South Station was begun in 1988 on land donated by the Kitty Hawk Land Company and completed in 1989.
From a group of nine dedicated citizens in 1959 to a modern two station fire department of the 21 century, we continue to serve proudly with an all volunteer department.